Monday 3 March 2008

Television in Nepal

One of the things that I miss of the UK is the quality of British television; or so I thought until I caught the truly dreadful Freddie Starr participating in Celebrity Wife Swap on my last trip home (see my post of 28th January). But back in Nepal I am reminded that in truth the local programmes are indeed much, much worse and that there is a difference in quality, albeit a relative one. One of the few reasonable readily-available channels to tune into though is good old MTV. This evening I noticed Madonna's latest video. Hmmm. Unlike Daniel O'Donnell Madge has merited the status of "superstar" from her past risque performances and amazing voice. However I think given that she is now 48, one year older than me, she's really getting a little too long in the tooth to be lolling around in leotards, gyrating and pouting. I don't presume to do that at my age and nor should she.

Tomorrow I am off to India to take our campaign against the Indian circuses to a higher level. Over the past couple of weeks my colleagues here in Nepal have been collecting affidavits from survivors of trafficking and their families so that we can petition the Supreme Court of Uttar Pradesh (the State just across the border) to investigate the excesses of abuse that we know continue to be visited upon its children and teenage girl performers. If the Court forms a committee (which will be our request) to look into the issue and if that committee reports objectively - and without interference - this could be the beginning of the end for child trafficking to circuses. Uttar Pradesh though is notoriously "lawless" so it remains to be seen what impact our efforts will have. We can but try.