Friday 12 October 2007

Fantasy dog

Last evening's Inner Wheel District meeting in Stockport went very well indeed. I was privileged to speak to over 150 ladies drawn from 25 clubs within the region and the talk was received very well. It was hard to draw a line under question time at the end. But a firm line had to be drawn at 10 p.m. as I faced a three and a half hour journey back to my pied a terre in Welwyn Garden City. Or so I thought. At one in the morning I found myself sitting stationary in a traffic jam on the M1 for an hour, meaning that I stumbled through the door at 2.30 a.m. with 400 miles on the clock of the car. Today I felt quite drugged by it all but still glad that I'd gone.

In my post last month "Hearing Dogs" I mentioned how a supporter had commissioned a mosaic of a "fantasy dog" - a multi coloured interpretation of a four legged friend. I gave the task to Sunita, one of the girls that we freed from the terrible New Raj Kamal circus in January. The result isn't necessarily to my taste but the exercise still served its purpose in that she responded to my encouragement to be ambitious with her use of colour. This should not turn out to be just a boring brown and white dog. She's learned a lesson in art and this will have been further therapy for her as she expressed herself with flair after years of suppression inside the circus.