Tuesday 28 April 2009

How a two year old sees the world

Last week I showed my two and three quarter year old daughter, Alisha, this newspaper picture of the Nepalese Prime Minister emerging from a conference. "He's blowing out candles" she declared having enjoyed her parents' birthday celebrations that fell within recent weeks. I sometimes test her on what things are for. One day I took her through body parts - what are ears for? (A. hearing), what are teeth for? (A. eating) etc. When I asked her what fingers are for she answered "noses". She also told me on another occasion that the fridge was "for taking the white wine out of". Hmmm.

She's also become a great animal lover and can identify an amazing range of animals through her visits to the zoos and study of books. But she floored Bev the other day when she asked if she could have some "armadillo crisps" as a snack. Then she pointed to the packet of tortilla chips.

Kusum (see previous post) has just arrived at my house ready to be taken off to a toddlers' library group by Bev and an adoring Alisha. She's coming along really well since she arrived at the Esther Benjamins Trust children's refuge and is now starting to talk and smile. Heaven knows what vocabulary Alisha is going to teach her.