Tuesday 24 June 2008

The Gangetic Dolphin

When I visited Bardia National Park in April (see my post of 4th April) I had hoped to see the Gangetic Dolphin that I had been fortunate to spot on a previous visit there four years ago. The river safari drew a blank with the guides stating that it had probably moved downstream into India. I suspected the truth was darker than that. My guess was somewhat confirmed by this picture that appeared in today's Kathmandu Post, an image that saddened me beyond words.

The Gangetic Dolphin has been taken to the edge of extinction by the damming of rivers in hydroelectric projects and through illegal hunting. I am not sure what can be done, if anything, to save it. Mere "raising of awareness" through education is not going to be enough at this late stage, least of all in the poor communities that are home to its potential hunters. Perhaps the only raising of awareness that might work in the short term is some long prison sentences.