Thursday 15 May 2008

Baya Weaver

It's always a welcome distraction from work when the bush outside my office window attracts a bird that I haven't seen before. This morning it was the turn of the "Baya Weaver" which I noticed rustling around in the ample pre-monsoon foliage. This is the male of the species, which is now in its yellow breeding plumage. As you can see by its rather startled look it had in turn spotted me just as I was snapping this image. According to my guide book it's quite a common resident but then again this is central Kathmandu!

At the end of March child counsellor Steve Shears came on trek into the Annapurnas through which he raised some very welcome funds for the Trust. This gave me a chance to meet him for the first time after a correspondence that had been running for the previous few months. I took Steve to see the refuge and art workshop and we had a good one to one chat about the kinds of problems our children have experienced and that we might have to deal with in the future. He is now writing up his journal from that visit and you might be interested to see the entries that appear on his blog. After that you might like to give him a little retrospective sponsorship towards our work through his secure online form. Thanks!