Sunday 25 May 2008

"As big as bleedin' cats...."

Such were the rats in the Quartermaster's store, according to the old British Army song. The rats in Kathmandu also reach a healthy proportion in this very unhealthy environment as per this fine specimen which met its nemesis in my garden this morning in the form of my dog Bryher. Bev rushed out in the hope that it might yet be saved (she cares for all animals) but Bryher doesn't do anything by half.

Most days I drive past this billboard advertising a school that purports to offer a "New Vision in Education". As I do so I muse upon how beautiful the hills are in the background and how they have been spoilt by something resembling an internment camp. Sadly this is all too typical of the modern day ugly "pile them high, sell them quick" Nepali style of building that pays no respect to the country's rich architectural heritage. I suppose in defence of local advertising standards, this ad doesn't suggest for one moment that this is any kind of a heavenly vision - just a new one.