Sunday 16 December 2007

Bondage

I was rather pleased to note that the YouTube video that I published on Friday of our art workshop in Kathmandu in progress had proved so popular. It has attracted many more views than any previous film that we posted on the web. It was only last evening that I worked out the reason for this unusual degree of interest. In the text that accompanied the video I had written that we had freed the students from "bondage" within the Indian circuses. The word bondage has attracted viewers and links to other videos whose interest in, and association with, bondage is sexual in nature. I have since amended the text but this has been an exercise in closing stable doors. So the tip is that if you wish to boost your Blog traffic use "bondage" as one of your key words.

Yesterday two Maoist leaders called at our Kathmandu refuge. They said that the Maoists are now conducting their own survey of children's homes, given that these have a reputation for mis-directing donor money. They wanted lots of information from Shailaja CM (our local Director), donations and even asked if some of their leaders' children could travel on our school bus. Shailaja spoke to them openly about our work and about my background and why I am here. But declined their other requests. I believe they were quite happy in the end but expressed an interest in meeting with me - the local leader apparently knows me quite well as he lives just behind my home! So I have suggested to Shailaja that we take the initiative and call them for a meeting tomorrow afternoon rather than wait for them to follow up their first approach. This should be an interesting exchange and we have nothing at all to hide. Quite the opposite; I will take pride in showing them our work.