Thursday 26 July 2007

Red Panda

The girls in the mosaic studio have been surprised to have me join them over the past couple of days. This is indeed a rare occurence because of the pressures of work but a very welcome one for them and for me. The reason has been the necessity to give them some artistic guidance from my limited skills as we try to define the appearance of future "products" that we plan to sell to generate an income for them and for the project.

I've been working on a design for a Red Panda, an endangered species in the Himalayas. See the original photograph and my interpretation of that on the right. This includes the use of fishing line projecting from the mosaic to simulate whiskers. It needs a bit more work doing to it and I have asked advice from my friends, mosaic artists Peter and Alison Massey in Derbyshire (www.zantium.co.uk). Meanwhile I am consulting young supporters in Facebook to see if they have any good design ideas.

My dogs have tuned into the Windows signature tune so that they know it's time to go outside for their final wee of the day when they hear those distinctive notes. Here goes....