Saturday 7 July 2007

Son of a Camel

Just over a year ago I entrusted my (charity) laptop to "Laptop Genius" in London for a minor repair. I took a chance on this as I was on a flying visit to the UK and PC World couldn't fix it within the time frame of the visit. The laptop was returned to me the following day only for me to discover that in addition to the repair not having been sorted out some of the keys were not working. The laptop was a write-off. Laptop Genius didn't fulfil their pledge to sort it out - their post-repair service was non-existent - and I had to return to Nepal with a non-functional laptop. This represented a minor operational disaster. Subsequent correspondence and claims went unanswered, or letters were returned with envelopes annotated "not known at this address". Finally I took Laptop Genius to the Small Claims Court on my last visit to the UK. I was uncontested and won. Now all we have to do is to find the slippy Mo Savoji who owns Laptop Genius and enforce the Court order for a payment of £800.

This evening I managed to track him down through the internet. He's now operating under the name of "Hammersmith Computers" on King Street in London. There's a long list of disgruntled customers:

http://www.londononline.co.uk/allreviews/96209/

There are some clients who wax lyrical but these are fakes - like "M Board" (Mother board?). I think one of his less satisfied customers puts it succinctly in his post:

http://www.londononline.co.uk/reviews/3076/

I'm not finished with Mo but that particular battle will no doubt drag on for a while as there is a principle at stake. It would be so much easier in Nepal. I'd just ask Bhim Lama and Kumar Giri from the circus rescue team to kidnap him until such times as his friends (if he has any) pay up, with interest. That's why Nepal is a great country.