Monday 1 September 2008

Marketing for Dummies

A couple of weeks' back I advertised for the post of Marketing and Sales Manager with Himalayan Mosaics. The process for applicants involves complying to an instruction to download and complete an application form from a website. This avoids my being swamped with CVs and cover letters from candidates who are unqualified and feel inclined to take pot luck at job advertisement that appears in the papers. Hopefully this approach also attracts candidates who are capable of some fresh thought. Of the 21 responses, only six elected to complete the form, the remainder hoping erroneously that their CVs alone would carry them through.

One of those who did see fit to complete the application form one wrote winningly in his personal statement:

"Whenever I observe to my marketing executive during the field work, they always prejudge the people. They have a bad concept why they will buy our produce because might be they are old, too young but these are all bulls**t. Marketing is all about the create the demand and give best ideas to your client. According to me anyone can buy your product if you make him/her realize it could be useful for you. It was my practical knowledge of marketing. During my official session I took lot of interviews for the position of marketing executive but I did not get a single person who really knows the mean of marketing. I believe marketing is a kind of work which we can comparison with this quotation “Monkey see Monkey do” ."

The job interviews promise to be interesting.

Today I found my mind wandering to higher things and to reflecting upon the marvellous holiday I enjoyed just a month ago on the island of Bryher in the Scilly Isles. With a population of 80 it was just right as retreat from Nepal. Bryher is home to one of our regular Nepal volunteers, Marian Bennett, who seems to be a regular feature on television programmes about the islands and is a splendid host through her holiday lets. It is also the location of a delightful little church which has four splendid modern day stained glass windows by local artist Oriel Hicks. Their subjects based around local flora and fauna are set off beautifully by the backdrop of the island landscape outside and represent a wonderful piece of contextual art.