Wednesday 25 June 2008

The sun in eclipse

I was rather mystified to see a strange bird outside my window yesterday morning. Consulting my guide book I realised that it was my old friend the purple sunbird which feeds on nectar from the flowers in the hedge. Normally a lustrous purple he is now in so called "eclipse" plumage and looking rather dowdy. Just like my dogs have been as they changed their coats before the monsoon.

Today I will entertain a two day visit from Dean Nelson, South Asia correspondent for The Sunday Times newspaper in the UK. Dean is following up our rescue at The Raj Mahal Circus (see my post
of 16th June). Speaking to him by phone he expressed justifiable reservations in the antics of so many non-governmental organisations who grab headlines (and funds) through similar "raid and rescue" operations only to cut loose afterwards those that they have rescued. In this regard they do more harm than good.

I will be proud to show him how we follow up our cases and give girls options that empower them and reduce the risk of their ever being trafficked again.