Friday 4 January 2008

The Fourth of January

Today is the ninth anniversary of my first wife Esther's tragic death. Although I always tell myself that it's "just another day" it does always still loom ahead of me over the Christmas and New Year celebrations that are going on all around.

It would probably come as no surprise if I were to state that it felt like it had happened just yesterday. And if I do sit down and write about the subject (as I did for the link article below "The Esther Benjamins Trust in my own words") then it suddenly does become very raw and the tears can readily flow. However if truth be told it seems like it occurred ages ago most likely because so very much has happened in the meantime. I didn't pause for much reflection in the immediate aftermath of Esther's suicide, choosing instead to take on a huge challenge in her memory. A challenge that has kept me fully occupied ever since. This has given me a great deal of peace and a badly-needed sense of purpose. With hindsight it was exactly the right way to proceed.