Wednesday 9 April 2008

The working donkeys of Kathmandu

I met my friend and portrait artist Jan Salter at an art exhibition the other evening. She is the founder of Kathmandu Animal Treatment Centre (http://www.katcentre.org.np/) which is now a registered charity in the UK. Over a glass of red she told me that she was now looking into the circumstances of working donkeys in Kathmandu, as if she hadn't enough on her plate with the city's stray dog population to sort out.

On the way back from my Godawari arts centre this lunchtime I passed a donkey grazing by the roadside, clearly with an open sore on its bank. On returning home I opened this e mail and adjacent pictures from another animal welfare activitist:

"I took these pics at a brick factory site in Siddhipur. The donkeys carry unfired bricks from the place where bricks are made from mud to the factory and back. According to the staff (many of whom are children) the boss hardly cares for the donkeys. So many have died already. One donkey's ears were cut off when it was young, no idea why. Half of the donkeys have open sores which go untreated."

I am now looking at how I might extend my children's charity work beyond the immediate facilities we operate and out into the community that straddles the Godawari road that runs southeast out of Kathmandu. Whilst our expenditure of course will continue to have to go on children and young people, sights and messages like this make me think of what we might do for young people that can offer some parallel advantages to domestic animals and wildlife. And one day soon I am going to have a look at the brick kilns and their child labour for myself.

Sometimes it feels like one is living in a kind of mediaeval hell hole over here and no one seems to care that much.